Thursday, July 8, 2010

Our Green Birthday Party

Mady turned 2 on June 20th and we threw her a bash, despite it being Father's Day. Dave didn't mind sharing the spotlight, although he did wish he had more downtime!

It was a Dr. Seuss themed party. The invites were made through e-vite, so we didn't have to use (waste) any paper.

We used all of our regular dishes, glasses, napkins and flatware. It was as simple as a load of dishes that evening and so worth saving the money (much less the waste) of disposables. Cloth napkins just went in our kitchen wetbag and got washed the next day.

For favors (since most of the kids were Mady's age or slightly younger) we had red paper bags (obviously not "green" but time didn't allow me to make them) filled with a green egg and slice of green ham that I crocheted, as well as a small bottle of bubbles.


Here's the spread, before I added the cupcakes. The tablecloth is a twin bed sheet that I purchased for the occasion. It's a color that I think will last us many parties and we can even use it as an extra bed sheet if needed!

The banner was made for Mady's first birthday and will be up for each of her birthdays for the rest of her time in our house, and will then be passed down to her.

I made pink lemonade (inspired by the pink ink that the Yink drinks in "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish"). We had green deviled eggs with ham inside, as well as bell peppers with dip and cheese squares. I had grand plans for other food things (the cheese was going to be broccoli "trees" and cheese - inspired by "Fox in Socks") but overall I was very happy with the spread.

I made dairy free rainbow cupcakes with dairy free frosting for the cake. Everyone loved the bright colors and I really felt that they added a Seuss-esque quirkiness to a typically boring food item. I made the cupcake stands using this tutorial from Baby Rabies. Super easy and reusable!


So there it is! I hope you've gotten some great ideas for your next party and that this helps give you the courage to try your own "green party"!

No comments:

Post a Comment